Thoughts and insights on Twilight/Dusk Photography

August 03, 2014  •  Leave a Comment
 

As I continue to absorb the seemingly endless nuances of the different photography disciplines, I have found that one of my favorites is Low Light Photography. Often referred to as Twilight/Dusk Photography. As a relatively new photographer, I continue to be captivated by mother nature's daily, late afternoon, light shows. Sunsets are magical in my eyes and judging from the abundance of 

sunset pictures on the internet, I am not alone. And while I have captured my share of inspiring sunset, and even some sunrise images, I am more captivated by what happens to light shortly after the sun sets. This mixture of natural and artificial light results in what I feel are truly magical, almost surreal images. 

Put your camera in "Aperture Priority" mode, find the sunset in your view finder, snap a picture, and you are 60% of the way to a great sunset image. I'll discuss my thoughts on the other 40% on a future blog post. It's what happens in this 40% that will elevate that great sunset image to something more. Capturing a great twilight image however, involves much more thought and a fair amount of preparation. See my video at the bottom of this post for what I have learned in this regard. 

Dinner Key Marina - Miami, FLDinner Key Marina - Miami, FL While taking a compelling twilight picture involves much more than pointing your camera at an object and snapping a picture, it should absolutely not be considered difficult to do. It's just a little more involved and in my opinion, a lot more fun. And while there is no such thing as an average, run of the mill picture, a good twilight picture demands not just a compelling subject. It's snapping a picture of that compelling subject at just the right time, in just the right light. I have now taken a fair number of these kinds of pictures and am mostly satisfied with my results. But truth be told, I am still searching for the image I will be hanging on my wall. The image to the left is my favorite so far but I will continue my quest for the one that draws my eyes in, like no other. 

So in closing this post out, I would encourage anyone reading to consider an attempt at this flavor of photography. Hopefully, I have provided enough information in the video below and in this post to at very least point visitors in the right direction. And by all means, feel free to comment on your thoughts and experiences...  

 
   

 


Comments

No comments posted.
Loading...

Archive
January February March April May (1) June (1) July August (1) September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December